On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A Garden Hodgepodge



1. April is Lawn and Garden Month. On a scale of 1-10 what's the current state of your lawn and/or garden. (10=a showpiece, 1=send in the professionals). Tell us about any lawn or garden plans you have for this month.


Maybe a 4 because we need help. I have to pull up all the knockout roses (which are in beautiful bloom right now) because they have the witch's claw disease that cannot be treated. Wah!! But I'm not doing anything until we get past surgery. We also lost some shrubs due to hard freeze. I have lots of ideas, but they need to be done before the heat comes in.



I'm going to miss these roses.


2. "Many things grow in the garden that were never sown there."~Thomas Fuller  What does this quote mean to you?

I don't know anybody who plants weeds in their garden, but they definitely grow there. And in our hearts, things are sown by the world around us, mean things spoken by mean people, harsh things seen in the news, weeds are sown every day if we aren't careful to guard our hearts and pull up anything before it takes root.

Weeds and wildflowers behind our yard.
I didn't sow either one.


I look forward to reading everyone else's answers.

3. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think about God?

Almighty, Good, Love.

4. If we were chatting in person, how would I know if you were nervous?


I would be biting my lips and picking at my cuticles. That is very annoying, I know.

5. Do you like the color yellow? Would I find any in your home or wardrobe? Daffodils, tulips, roses, sunflowers, day lily, black eyed susan...which yellow bloom on this list is your favorite?



It's really a toss-up between daffodils and tulips, but I like the quote on this pic. I love yellow flowers, but yellow is not my color for clothing, house, or cars. 

When we first moved into this house, we decided to paint the wood portion. I chose a color which I thought was a cream color - it was named almond. When I came home from work the day the painters were there, I found a  red brick house with yellow trim! Ugh!!! We suffered through that yellow for a few years before finally repainting the cream color I had wanted.

And one day I was standing in Macy's looking at a rack of yellow clothes and the sales clerk came up behind me and announced, "Yellow is NOT your color!" Uh, yes, ma'am. I think that was a weed you just tried to sow.

6. Flip flops or bare feet?

Outdoors: flip flops
Indoors: Socks or slippers

We went barefoot all the time growing up. We could not wait until May 1, at which Mom declared it was barefoot weather. Our feet were so tough we could walk on rocks! Not anymore. My feet are still tough, but the grass around here isn't that pleasant to walk on.

7. Tell us about any Easter plans, celebrations, or traditions you'll carry out this month.


No plans yet except to go to church. All plans up in the air at this time. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I taught our Bible study today on communion and in choosing the songs for our praise and worship I found this one I had never heard before. Beautiful song. Perfect.






More Random







She had another hit tonight and
brought a runner in.

Why are they growing up so fast!!!

14 comments:

Suzanne McClendon said...

I am so sorry that your roses are sick. I lost my antique roses to the drought several years ago.

How cool that you have Indian Blankets there, too! We went for a drive the other day and found tons of them on the roadside. That made me very happy. :)

Congratulations to your softball princess! I could never hit anything when I played ball...well, nothing except this one boy's head, and that wasn't on purpose. :)

Have a blessed day!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Your roses are gorgeous! I had never heard of Witch's Claw Disease so I looked it up. That would be frustrating to have happen to such beautiful flowers.

The wildflowers that have naturally grown at your home are lovely. Such pretty colors among the grass.

Dianna said...

Hello my friend.

I am sorry that I've missed so many of your recent blog posts. I had to chuckle at the pictures of your husband while he was sitting on the bench...I do the same thing and certainly, like you, I do not try to do it, but I normally cut people's heads off. :) I need to be more observant when I'm taking pictures of people. I've just been sticking to flowers and such for a while now. :)

Your tulip pictures are gorgeous. I love tulips!

Your grands are so adorable. I know they bring you much joy.

Your cinnamon rolls looked so good.

Praying for the two of you today...all day long.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Your grandkids are so cute. We had the same thing happen to our roses when we lived in Tx. So sad - I loved them so much. Have a good weekend.

NanaDiana said...

LOL, Connie- Yellow is not my color either---unless it is gold. lol
Love the pictures of the kiddos.
I always thought Knock-outs were pretty much impervious to disease(s). I guess not. I have not heard of that disease so will have to look it up. How frustrating!
When is the surgery...let me know. You probably told me before and I forgot. xo Diana

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Poor roses! I've never heard of witches claw, but it sounds dreadful.
I like your thoughts and answers for #2.
You know, I went barefooted, outside, all the time while growing up, but I don't think crab grass existed back then. Those stickers it produces are relentless.
Have a blessed and happy Easter.
Kathy (Reflections)

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Friends of ours in Wiley are having to pull up all the roses they planted only a couple years ago as well. They are sick. You answered #2 as I'm sure Joyce intended and I so appreciate what you wrote. It is true that we allow those weeds of doubt and mistrust to plant themselves in our heart. Praying for you in the days ahead.

Debbie said...

Your answer to the meaning of the quote was quite good and it was what I was trying to get the words for but didn't try hard enough and went with a literal meaning, lol. I listened to the song and I loved it! Praying for you and your hubby today, and in the days to come. May your Easter be blessed!

Joyce said...

I have knockout roses, but have never heard of Witches Claw. Going to have to look that up! Praying all goes well with the surgery. Take care, and wishing you a Happy Easter!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry about your roses. I like your answer for the quote.

Terri D said...

Those kiddos are SO cute! I really enjoyed today's Hodgepodge and reading your answers! Sorry about those rose bushes! Keep us posted about what you replace them with!!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

In answer to your question about growing sunflowers, they're very easy to grow! I always plant a row of sunflowers and zinnias right in the vegetable garden, next to the sweet corn :) Kathy (Reflections)

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

It is great that you have the lovely wildflower there. We would love Indian Blankets to grow in our yard. We would not mind dandelions either.

Kay G. said...

You are in my prayers. xx