On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Hopping back on the Hodgepodge today.


1. What do/did you call your grandparents? If it's something unusual tell us the story behind the name. If you're a grandparent what do your grands call you? Who chose your moniker?

On my Mom's side of the family, it was Granny and Grandad. On my Dad's side, it was Grandma and Grandpa. My Great-Grandmother was Grandma Sanders.


I am called Nonnie and DH is called Grandpa by Kate and Jack and Papa by Brady and Noah. Sometimes that can be confusing. He started out as Papa, but Kate began calling him Grandpa at an early age and it has stuck with her and Jack. I was Nana to Brady and Noah until Kate came along, and then I had to switch off as Amy's mother had always been called Nana by her older grandchildren. Totally confusing!! So I searched out names for Grandmothers and liked Nonnie because it was Italian, and it rhymed with Connie. (I am seeing a pattern here that Kate rules!)

2. Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast? If so what was the highlight of your trek? If not, any desire to do so? If you were to take a trip along the California Coast what's one attraction you'd have on your must-see list?

The road trip along the California Coast is something I have wanted to do for years and still hope we can do someday. Seeing the redwood trees and the drive along the Pacific coast would be beautiful. It would be interesting to see the Hearst Castle and I would love to stay in a bed and breakfast by the ocean. Carmel by the Sea! Sounds so lovely.

3. What are three things you don't know how to do?

Only three??? I don't sew or craft, but I really would like to like to. And I play the piano a bit, but I don't know how to just sit down and really play the way a piano should be played. Wish I had stuck with my lessons.

4. Tom Peters is quoted as saying, 'Celebrate what you want to see more of.' If that's true what will you celebrate and more importantly, how will you celebrate?

Last Saturday we had our quarterly children's workshop at church. One of the fifth grade boys was recognized and honored (celebrated) for all He has accomplished in our Grace Kids Scholars program. In addition to a long list of active undertakings he had accomplished, it was truly amazing to hear he had memorized over 200 Bible verses and to listen to him recite chapter 12 of the Book of Romans. I celebrate that and would love to see more of our children learning at an early age not only to memorize and read scripture, but to LOVE God's Word. I think we celebrate that at our church by honoring these kids for what they've done. I think my celebration over that is in my heart.

5. Thursday (February 16) is National Almond Day. Do you like almonds?
I do like almonds.
Which would you prefer-an Almond Joy or a macaroon?
I want somebody to make Mounds with Almonds. Or change Almond Joys to be covered in dark chocolate.
What's something you make that calls for almonds? My trail mix has almonds, walnuts, pecans, raisins and dark chocolate chips. And sometimes we have slivered almonds in green beans.

6. What does Saturday morning look like at your house?
If the kids are here, it's laid back and I'm making pancakes, then we play indoors or go to the park. If it's just us, I make breakfast and then I read and DH naps.

7. Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter.

Oh my! I have only read one book through to completion. Just bits and pieces of several other books. I read Coming Home by Rosamund Pilcher. It was good and held my attention to the end, but I wouldn't call it a favorite.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

My random thought is to say thank you to Joyce for the Hodgepodge. The past two weeks my mind has been consumed with all kinds of things and trying to blog just wasn't doing it for me. The Hodgepodge is a way to get back in there and visit everybody.

16 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Connie- It is always fun to see you here for Hodgepodge. I really love these things because you get to know a person even better. Love your stories about your grandkids and family.
Sorry this has been an unsettled time for you. Life is not an easy journey, is it? xo Diana

Theresa said...

I love the name Nonnie. I agree about making Almond Joy with dark chocolate. That was always my dilemma with choosing between Mounds and Almond Joy ;) I make a similar trail mix and it makes a great snack. Have a great week :)

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I always look for your Hodgepodge post so it's good to see you here today. Loved your celebration answer. We just don't have activities even in our churches that celebrate the good. What a shame, but what a great recognition for your little friend. Your lazy Saturdays sound a lot like ours. We still have that work mentality around here even though we've been retired six years, where Saturdays were a much looked forward to stay home day. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Joyce said...

I like Nana and might choose that. My daughter's mother-in-law has a name in mind that's different so I'm good. This is the first on both sides. My mom was Mema to the first three grands, then fourteen years later my sister had a baby and he has always called her Mimi. My girls have tried to get him to change that but he resists : )

Melanie said...

I called my maternal grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. I wasn't really close to my paternal grandparents but when I saw them I referred to them as Grandma and Grandpa too. All my children call me Grandma but when I write to my older son's children, I sign it Grandma Cook to distinguish between me and their other grandma.

Debbie said...

Love your answer to number 4! What a wonderful thing to celebrate! I too thought surely I don't have to narrow it down to 3 things I can't do, lol. Soo many things still on my list. Hope the rest of your week is good!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful about the lad who has memorized so many verses! Two of my grandchildren are being home schooled, and I'm thrilled that they are required to memorize scripture as part of their curriculum. It's amazing what young minds can do, such as memorize entire chapters.

I like the name "Nonnie" for a grandmother.
Enjoy your week!
Kathy (Reflections)

Mrs.T said...

The name "Nonnie" is a great one for a grandma.

And how nice that the young man was recognized in church for all of his accomplishments. Scripture memory is so very important. We have to get it in our minds so it's there in time of need.

There are way more than three things I can't do! But I do love to sew and craft. Just jump in and try something ... you'll be surprised how easy it is!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I believe my sister is called Nonnie and my BIL in Papa. The Redwoods are amazing. Most weeks I am happy to have Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge because I have nothing!!! Enjoy the rest of your week.

Judy said...

Ooooh, I like the idea of staying in Carmel-by-the-Sea! It looks charming!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Pamela said...

We went through the Redwoods on our way from Washington to Virginia - just amazing. We stayed at a cute little bed and breakfast on the Avenue of the Giants. I've never been to Carmel but it's on my list of Places I'd Like to Visit. I watched the TV version of Coming Home - some of the actors were spot on - Joanna Lumley was perfect as Diana Carey-Lewis.

Linda said...

{{{{Big big smiles}}} Its ok not to blog etc...nice to you back with the Hodgepodge. smiles

Dianna said...

It is so good to see you back for two days in a row, my friend. I've missed you.

I'm Grandma and my husband is Pop Pop to our granddaughters and Grampa to our grandson. I'm thinking our son may have had something to do with the name Pop Pop because he called his granddad Pop Pop. :) I love how your names have changed down through the years.

Hugs,
Dianna

Debby said...

stopped by from the HodgePodge list - You made me think of a few more things I don't know how to do. Piano...funny when I first answer these questions, I sometimes go blank.

Visits With Mary said...

Enjoyed your hodgepodge answers. I think 'Nonnie' is cute, I'm just 'Granny.' I always wanted something cute but it didn't happen. My SIL's grandchildren call her 'Mimi' - another cute one!

Life SPW said...

This would be a better world if more children, and adults, memorized Scripture. Kudos to that 5th grader. Thank you for your encouraging words and for stopping by my blog page. Have a great week.