On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Saturday 9 with Gilligan's Island


Saturday 9: Ballad of Gilligan's Island (1964)





1) This is about the fateful cruise of the S.S. Minnow. If you had a boat, what would christen it?

Years ago, we christened our boat "Bocolima" named for Bob, Connie, Liesl and Max (Liesl and Max were our two miniature dachshunds.)

2) "No phone! No lights! No motorcar! Not a single luxury!" To Sam, those sound more like everyday essentials than luxuries. If you were shipwrecked with the gang, what standard amenity would you miss the most?

The phone! Call for help! (Probably no service though, huh?) 

3) The uncharted isle was in the Pacific, near Hawaii. Have you ever been to our 50th state?

Yes. It was so beautiful. Had a splendiferous time!

Braved a ride in this helicopter

to get a glimpse of these waterfalls
and other sights from above.
(When my eyes were open, that is!)

4) Natalie Schafer, who played Mrs. Howell, refused to divulge her age. Are you honest about how old you are? Or do you fudge it?

Why on earth would you lie about that? It doesn't change a thing.

5) Gilligan's Island featured many dream sequences. (Like the one where Gilligan dozes off and dreams that he's Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk.) Have you had any vivid dreams lately?

I dream very crazy dreams, but they usually dissipate soon after I awaken. Sometimes I write them down. Some have come true. Some have been somewhat allegorical. I know I dream every night and they are much more fun than the dreams I had as a child. 

6) The pilot was filmed in November, 1963, in Honolulu. The cast and crew were actually onset when they learned of President Kennedy's assassination.* Because on location filming was so expensive, they couldn't afford to take any time off. Tell us about a time when you had to work, even though your heart and head weren't in it.

When I worked full time, I worked five days a week (as most of the world does). However, my husband had a 24 on and 48 off schedule so in the summertime, he would take the kids out to the lake on weekdays for water-skiing and swimming. My heart and head and the rest of me wanted to be out there with them. 

7) During the show's run, Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was the clear fan favorite, receiving twice as many love letters as Ginger (Tina Louise). Have you ever written a fan letter (or posted a fan tweet or Facebook post)?

I did write a letter to Elvis when I was 16, but tore it up. 

8) Sam chose this week's song because it was going through her head, over and over again! Tell us a song that burrows into your head and stays there.

The Lord said to Noah: there's gonna be a floody, floody

The Lord said to Noah: there's gonna be a floody, floody

Get those children out of the muddy, muddy, children of the Lord

So, rise and shine, and give God the glory, glory
Rise and shine, and give God the glory, glory
Rise and shine, and give God the glory, glory
Children of the Lord

The Lord told Noah to build him an arky, arky
The Lord told Noah to build him an arky, arky
Build it out of gopher barky, barky, children of the Lord


9) Random question: You went to a discount store and got an amazing bargain -- a pair of dress shoes for just $4.99. You go to a formal event and someone compliments you on those great shoes and asks where you got them. Do you tell the truth?

Sure. Why not?

Thanks a lot! Now that arky song is stuck in my head!

9 comments:

CountryDew said...

Was/is an emergency service worker? That sounds like my firefighter husband's schedule. I would like to not dream so much - I do not sleep well and my husband says my brain never stops. Plus I wake us both up screaming or crying.

Visits With Mary said...

I was a faithful watcher of Gilligan's Island. Such a silly show, but so entertaining. Enjoyed your answers, have a great day!

Susie said...

Nonnie, I would not be a good person to live with if there was no power. I love electricity. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

I am Harriet said...

My niece was hiking across Oregon and she used a satellite phone. So, you are in luck!

Kwizgiver said...

Hawaii is on my bucket list.

The Gal Herself said...

Oh, I bet that helicopter ride was glorious!

Terri D said...

No desire to see Hawaii, but should I ever get there, a helicopter ride to see the volcano would be great!

Wanda said...

What a fun post. I not only tell people when I get bargains or something from the thrift store...I post pictures...I guess I'm a sad case...HaHa

zippiknits...sometimes said...

What a lovely thing, to have a Helio ride in Hawaii.