On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, December 14, 2017

My Cousin Charlene

My cousin Debbie called yesterday with the sad news that her sister had passed away. I remember with great fondness my cousin Charlene. That is how I knew her. Little girls we were and close in age. We played together. I remember the sweet dresses Aunt Opal made for us and still cherish the photos of us in them.

The church is in the background.

The church next door to their house was always open and I remember Charlene and me playing church inside. We actually sang a special song together there during a Sunday service. We sang Just a Closer Walk With Thee. We played in the leaves on the road that led up to where Mike Shinn lived. We had so much fun when we spent the night at Aunt Opal's house and jumped on the beds playing Snap, Crackle and Pop. Staying in Huntsville meant we got to go to the Square and shop in the bargain basement, drink icy cold Cokes in the drugstore and go to the movies together. We played together with all our cousins at Grandma McCoy's house.

With Grandma and Grandpa McCoy
and Charlene's brothers, Glenn and Jimmy and
our younger cousin, Leonard Dean

Charlene with her siblings, Glenn,
Jimmy and Debbie.
Debbie is now the only one of them still with us.

Charlene and I spent three days together one summer at Grandma's house and it was so hot outside. I was about 8 and she was 9.  We came inside from playing all hot and sweaty and went into the back room where the bucket of water was and the dipper. She took off her clothes and began to pour water over her head to cool herself off.

I remember the night she gave birth to her first baby and hearing her cries wondering how a person could ever endure such pain. She was blessed to have her beautiful children and it was plain to see she loved them with all her heart and her grandchildren and great grandchild and how proud she was of them. Distance separated us over the years and I'm sorry I did not get to know and be close to her as an adult, but I can see she has left a legacy of love to them.

God bless and comfort all her family as they share all their wonderful memories and say not good-bye, but "we will see you again one day."

love, Connie

8 comments:

Terri D said...

I'm so sad to learn of your loss, and loved seeing the photos and reading about your childhood friendship with your cousin. I was close with my cousins too, growing up. It is a bond that lasts a lifetime and beyond. Hugs!

NanaDiana said...

OH- What a wonderful tribute to your cousin, Connie. I know it is sad to know how close we were to cousins as children and then due to life's circumstances we move and drift apart. You have wonderful warm memories of her though and you wrote a beautiful tribute to her. I am sorry for the family's (and your) loss. xo Diana

Chatty Crone said...

I am so sorry about the loss of Charlene - it is hard to lose a loved one - and one we were close to. You two were so cute in your matching dresses. You looked like good friends. Love, sandie

Cathy said...

What a blessing to have such wonderful memories of you and your cousin together.

Visits With Mary said...

So sorry for your loss. It's nice that you have these precious memories of your cousin.

Karen said...

I know that is sad news about your sweet cousin. The memories and even the cars in the picture bring back fond memories of cousins for me too. God bless you and the family.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your sweet cousin's passing. I know we know we will see our loved ones again in heaven someday, but it still hurts to see them go now. You have some precious and sweet memories. Thank you for sharing them with us. May the Lord give comfort and strength to you and your cousin's family during this time of sorrow.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. ((Hugs)) Sending prayers to you and your family.