On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Hopeful Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge Fun!

1. When you think about your future what do you fear most?

Being alone and not able to take care of myself.
Hope for the most?
That Jesus will return soon. And, if He doesn't come in my lifetime, that our kids will be able to live quiet and peaceable lives and enjoy life!

2. September is National Chicken Month. How often is chicken on the menu at your house?
Maybe once a week.

What's a favorite dish made with chicken?
Chicken Pot Pie. (Recipe below.)

What's something you're a 'chicken' about doing or trying?

Scuba diving! I always passed on this one even though I did take the brief course. My fear was that I would panic under the water if I saw anything scary. "So you guys have fun. I'll just wait here on the beach!"



Jason

Sara

DH


Also probably chicken to do some of the things I used to do like riding a motorcycle, snow or water-skiing or roller skating. At this stage of life, I really don't want to risk breaking any bones. And I won't be getting into any more helicopters ... hopefully. (Truth be told, I always was a little chicken on the motorcycle riding thing!!)


The day I rode this snowmobile I was following the guide on the trail. He had a big dog named Blue that ran behind us trying to catch up. As he came up on my right, he surprised me by jumping up on my snowmobile right in front of me to go along for the ride! My girlfriend was so distracted by this, she overturned her snowmobile because she was laughing so hard!


3. What are three things you don't own but wish you did?
  • A dog
  • A smart TV
  • A smaller one-story house
4. Would you rather be a jack of all trades or a master of one?
Being a jack of all trades right now would be a good thing.
Elaborate.
There are lots of small jobs around the house that I could be doing.
If you answered one, which one? But seriously, if I could master one thing, it would be the piano.

5. Ketchup or mustard? On what?

Mustard, on a burger or corn dog.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Kate and Jack were here this weekend. 


Kate loves the dollhouses and now we have four.

Jack wearing his dad's wrestling medals.

We played Bingo, Candy Land and
drop the clothespin in the bottle.
Remember that?
Jack thought it was pretty fun.
Prizes were $1, hugs or ice cream.
(They got all of it, of course.)


It's been so wonderful to see the way everybody has pulled together to help Hurricane Harvey survivors and to be able to help in so many different ways. 




Chicken Pot Pie
notes at the end of this recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 1 recipe homemade pie crust (step-by-step photos included)1
  • 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots (about 2 carrots)
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery (about 1 stalk)
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 and 3/4 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup half-and-half2
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish, optional

Directions:

  1. Prepare the pie crust as directed in my recipe, including chilling for at least 2 hours. I usually make the crust the night before. The pie crust recipe makes 2 crusts and you'll be using both crusts.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 12 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
  3. In a large skillet, cook the butter, onions, and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the onions are translucent and the butter is lightly browning. Whisk in the flour, salt, black pepper, thyme, chicken broth, and half-and-half. Cook and whisk until no flour lumps remain, then simmer over medium-low heat until thick. I simmer mine for 10 minutes. You want it to be a very thick gravy; simmer longer if necessary. Taste and add more seasonings if you prefer. Sometimes I add more thyme. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
  5. After the pie dough has chilled: On a floured work surface, roll out 1 half of the chilled pie dough. Turn the pie crust dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. With a small and sharp knife, trim the extra overhang of dough and discard. Place the chicken mixture on top. Top with frozen peas. Pour gravy over top. Roll out 2nd half of pie crust dough just as you did the first. Cover the pie with the 2nd crust and trim the extra overhang off the sides. Seal the edges by crimping with a fork or your fingers. With a small and sharp knife, slice a few small slits in the top crust for steam to escape. Using a pastry brush, brush crust and edges with beaten egg.
  6. Bake for 32 - 38 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. I use a pie crust shield to protect the edges from browning too much too soon. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Makes amazing leftovers-- the filling is so thick on the next day! Reheat as desired. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Make ahead tip: Filling and gravy can be prepared 1 day in advance, cover and chill in the refrigerator. Assemble, fill, and bake the next day as directed. The pie crust dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using. The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as directed or bake to warm through.

Recipe Notes:

  1. Two 9-inch frozen (and then thawed) store-bought pie crusts are just fine instead of homemade. Puff pastry works too.
  2. Heavy cream or whole milk works instead of half-and-half to make an extra rich filling. I wouldn't use lower fat milks; the gravy will be too thin.
This is a wonderful recipe if you have extra meat or leftover veggies to use up. Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. You can use precooked meat. Simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter. Add some corn (frozen or fresh) when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1-2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced. You can cook them until soft with the onion and butter. Mushrooms are great too; you can add 1 cup sliced mushrooms when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldn't add ALL of these veggies though; you will weigh down the pie.
Feel free to add fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary. As long as there is salt and pepper (definitely thyme too), the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you. Taste and season how you like.

8 comments:

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

We also like Chicken Pot Pie, but it is made in a lot fewer steps than yours. I tease that if a recipe takes more than 3 steps, then forget it. Loved your snowmobile story.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

chicken Pot Pie is my favorite comfort food. You can rest assured that I will be trying this recipe out. Loved reading your answers today. Have missed you all.

Debbie said...

Enjoyed your hodgepodge and hope to get back to it next week! Chicken pot pie has always been one of my favorites and this sounds soo good. But ever since I was forced to go gluten free I've longed for it. I did find one recipe for it that was pretty good, but not when you compare it to the real deal with buttery, flakey pie crust! lol

Cranberry Morning said...

Your story reminds me that I too was a lot braver and had no fears about doing daring things when I was young, BEFORE I had children. After that, my sense of responsibility kicked in and all was different.

Chatty Crone said...

That pot pie looked so good. I too want to be able to take care of myself of just die - I await Jesus's coming too. In my heart I would love to all of the above - but reality is I can't! lol sandie

Susie said...

Nonnie, We eat a lot of chicken here. Chicken pot pie is so good. I loved the games you play with the kids. I would love to play piano too. My all time wish. But I also would love to be able to run everyday and not have pain in my ankles. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Suzanne McClendon said...

I think it would be great to know how to safely scuba dive, but I won't ever know how. I'm too afraid of drowning to even try. I read a horrifying story in my hometown SC newspaper a few weeks ago that pretty much sealed me never trying it. If I could scuba dive, though, I'd go back to SC into Lake Hartwell and try to find the Harrisburg Plantation. It was the plantation of one of my ancestors that got flooded during the creation of Lake Hartwell. The only part above water now is the family cemetery. I want to see it someday.

Thanks for sharing the potpie recipe. I bet it is yummy!

Your grandchildren are adorable. I always loved dollhouses, too. :)

I remember the drop the clothesline in the jar game. We used to play it all the time at various parties at my aunt's house.

I enjoyed your post. Have a blessed week!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I started to list scuba diving as my answer, too. The thought of being under water makes my chest tight...
I'm with your granddaughter, I love doll houses :)

Kathy (Reflections)