On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Over the Moon Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge Fun!



1. Did you watch the solar eclipse?

No, we didn't get around to buying glasses and it wasn't going to be so strong in our part of the world. We did go outside when the light faded during the day and enjoyed the event in a very small way. 


Your thoughts? Sun Chips, Moon Pies, Starburst candies, a Blue Moon beer, a Sunkist orange, or a Milky Way candy bar...what's your favorite eclipse related snack on this list?

Sun chips.

2. What are you 'over the moon' about these days? 

I'm not sure. I've been over the moon enjoying kids for the past ten years and with school days now for all of them, the days of their being "just ours" are coming to a close as their worlds open up more and more to new people, thoughts, activities, etc. I think I have a tendency to "moon" over that a bit more than I should. 


What's something you enjoy doing every 'once in a blue moon'? 

Going back to Arkansas to visit the place of my birth and to see family I see only once in a blue moon!

3. Tell us about something in the realm of science that interests you. How do you feed that interest? 


Watching the doves each year as they return to rebuild their nest under our deck and start their little family. As they fly out to collect for materials to build their nest or feed their young, they take care to make sure no predator sees them, and them they fly back landing on the ceiling fan before settling in the nest. I wonder what they think as they ride around on the fan blade. 

4. What are a few things you remember about going back to school as a child?


Walking to and from school. Our mother couldn't drive and we only had one car anyway. So each morning the neighbor kids gathered together to walk to school. We had some good times as we went off to school together with many tall tales to tell as we walked. 


Me with the ruffles on my dress Mother made and
my sister kneeling and holding the doll.

Parents these days wouldn't dream of letting their young children walk the distances we did. We were safe, but still Mama warned us strictly not to get in the car with strangers. They impressed that so deeply upon me that when the sweet old people who lived next door to us offered me a ride one day, I refused because "Mama said." 


First grade was wonderful! Learning how to read all about the adventures of Dick and Jane, how to write, and working arithmetic problems. Laddie pencils, pink erasers, fat crayons and wide ruled tablets. Reading was my favorite subject and our teacher divided the children into groups according to skill and assigned names to our groups. Since I was such a good reader, I was in the top group called The Blue Racers!! I thought I was pretty hot stuff. I loved music class and our teachers back then taught us all the patriotic songs, folk songs, and even songs about God. Each morning we stood to pledge allegiance to the flag and say the Lord's prayer. How our world has changed.


One of the nicest things I remember about my first and second grades was that once a week in the last period of the day, our class would walk in line single file to the church across the street to listen to a Bible story, do a craft of some kind, and color a picture of whatever we had studied that day! Do you find that simply an amazing thing? A public school being allowed to coordinate special sessions with a church for us to hear about the Bible and God? I have never thought to ask anybody else whether this was something unique to Mark Twain Elementary or if it was something standard for schools in the 1950's.


5. I've seen several versions of this around the net so let's make one of our own...share with us five words that touch your soul and briefly tell us why.

I am deviating from the question and doing five phrases instead of words. These five phrases of five words each touch my heart in that they are promises from God Himself to me that will never be broken.


“Never will I leave you; 
never will I forsake you.” 
So we say with confidence, 
"The Lord is my helper; 
I will not be afraid."
‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:5-6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Brady and Noah have already started to school. Kate and Jack begin today. 








They're growing up! A first grader, two third graders, and a fifth grader!
It boggles the mind.

Fun at the lake before school begins for Kate and Jack.
They invited Grandpa and Nonnie along for the fun.


Heidi enjoyed it, too!







8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Okay let's see.
We did get glasses and watched the eclipse - but we were 97% - I think I saw the whole affect on tv better.
Moon pies - I am bad.
I love the things you said you did as a child - things have changed so much now.
Love your Christian sayings.
Your grands are so cute and so is your dog!
sandie

Cathy said...

I love Sun Chips too, but I still said Moon Pies, cause chocolate, you know? However, I do not eat Moon Pies very often. Usually just when I'm on vacation I may get one or two.

You grandkids are so cute in those pictures. Hope they all have a great school year!

Cranberry Morning said...

Hi Nonnie, Doesn't it seem impossible that summer is nearly over and the kids are already starting back to school! And yes, I have similar memories from school days. We had 'release-time Bible classes' where kids could go to the church for meetings. I don't think we ever said the Lord's Prayer in school, but certainly we pledged allegiance to the flag, not 'the world' as kids do today, and already were doing 10 years ago in our area. I loved reading your recollections of back-to-school days. Have a wonderful evening. Good choice on five phrases!

Carla from The River said...

I absolutely loved your school memories. Thank you for sharing the photo as well.

I agree, time goes so quick. Our boys start school 9/5 and this school year, our first born son will be a senior.
Carla

Linda said...

I enjoyed your answers, hope you have a beautiful rest of the week.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

So enjoyed reading your blog today. I would think your school having such an agreement with the local church would have been an exception rather than the rule even in the 50's. But what a wonderful opportunity that must have been. We lived across the road from our school, so we naturally walked, but it would have been common to see kids walking further distances. You and me and our love for our grand kids. Aren't we something! But you are right, they grow up so quickly and have other interests. And it's not easy on us grandparents sometime to be relegated to a lesser spot attention wise. But it is all part of growing up.

Terri D said...

Fun on the water!! Your grands are so cute!! I enjoyed reading your answers and love the phrases you chose to share. Peace!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Enjoyed reading your answers. Hope they have a great school year. I was a block away from school so we just walked. Those were the good old days!