On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Guns and ... boys?

Disclaimer:
This is not a political post for or against gun control.
The other day as Dear Heart and I turned the corner on our street,
we noticed two boys about 8 or 9 years old playing in the yard.
One had the other down and kind of pounding him.
But not really.
They were both laughing.
Our grandsons wrestle and play all the time.



 The following day, as I headed out I saw the same two boys.
One had a toy gun pointed at the other
who was down on the ground with his hands held out
and wearing a kerchief over his face.
You remember that scenario from the 50's?
Westerns, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy,
the bad guy wearing a mask,
the good guy with his white hat and special gun?
The good guy always won out in the end.




We girls played with the boys' cap pistols, too.
It was fun to hear them pop
and pretend we were Annie Oakley.

Now, the games have become too real in life.
 
I felt greatly troubled as I saw the one boy
standing over the other with a pistol aimed at him.
 
Just sayin'.


7 comments:

Aloha Acres said...

Same here. I battled with the "playing with guns" issue when my boys were small. It's part of a boy being a boy, but it's also a different world we live in. We finally made it a rule that you don't point a gun (toy or not) at anyone / thing you don't want to hurt. It seemed to have worked.

Terrible times we are in.

Shelly said...

I'm sad that we have lost the innocence that allowed kids to play like that. Too much of a powderkeg, these days, to allow them to do that anymore.

Chatty Crone said...

My daughter restricts guns and gun playing - me I am not so sure what the answer is....

Wanda said...

The 50's and now are so sadly different. We played cowboys and Indians. My little girlfriend and I played with dolls, and pretended the boys were our husbands off to protect us...it was such innocent fun. Not today...to much reality...it's not a child's game anymore. How sad.

Jill said...

So much could be said here... our society and the direction it is heading in is so troubling. Enjoy your weekend and I wish you all the best in the new year!

Blessings,
Jill

Anonymous said...

different times for sure, I was raised in a hunting family, guns were a part of life and here in Canada most of our family still hunt, playing with guns, well our children had toy guns but our daughter did not give them to our grandson although now at thirteen he is learning to hunt.Its a hrad call to make,

Sweet Tea said...

I totally agree, but "them are fightin' words" in my area.
I'm totally for the right for people to own guns and for hunters to enjoy
Their sport, but I'd definitely like to see more laws and restrictions regarding guns,
And I'd also like to see the mental health system become "user friendly".
You're a brave soul for treading into these waters - even Mister and I can't
agree on this issue. LOL