On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day

Our dear friend Terri from Florida is so dear and faithful to her readers that she even posts as she prepares for a hospital trip! What a trooper! And Terri has selected the Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day for us to use in lieu of questions today. 

I loved our little Trudy, and all our little dogs who have crossed over, but Trudy's crossing was especially meaningful to my husband and I. Her story is a testimony of our God's love for His creatures and His care for us. Link us here to share your story.

I have shared several times about our dog, Trudy. One of the sweetest dogs we ever had and a great little fun-loving companion. The way she came to us in the first place was remarkable in itself. After our Miniature Schnauzer Allie died, we thought maybe we shouldn't get another dog, but of course, after you're used to having a lovable dog around, you miss it and the house just feels empty. After a long search to find one exactly like her, it just wasn't happening. That is, until one day after looking at a number of possible dogs to adopt, we showed a pic to the lady at the humane society to tell her this is what we are looking for and the dog has to be like this. We left and about 30 minutes later, received a call saying that a woman and a little girl had just found a dog wandering about their neighborhood. The dog matched our description and would we be interested? Heck yeah! We went over, found this sweet dog and loved her from the beginning.


This docile looking little dog was quite deceiving. We discovered early on that she was a bolter and most likely, that is why she was out wandering the neighborhood where the little girl had found her. We spent many, many times chasing this dog down because she could sneak out of a barely open door faster than anything. She loved going for walks, chasing rabbits, and swimming in the pool.


Let's Walk!


Her last two years were difficult as we watched her go silent into a world of old age and dementia. The last year was especially trying as I had to carry her to the places she needed to be - to her bed, her food and water bowls, and outside to take care of business. She never made a peep of complaint, just wagged that little tail expressing her happiness at being with the people she knew loved her. Friends and family suggested gently many times that it was time to let Trudy go, but we just couldn't do it. I prayed that she would go peacefully because it would have broken DH's heart had I taken her to be put down. Especially the last two weeks it was hard to deal with because DH's surgery was getting closer and I didn't know what to do about her.

One Wednesday night I attended a special memory care support group and the pastor asked for prayer requests. As I explained my DH's love for Trudy and his denial about her condition, my prayer request was that Trudy would die peacefully before Friday morning because I had decided we could wait no longer and she would have to be put down.

That night, DH held her in his lap for the last time. As I tucked her into her bed, she was barely breathing and I told her we loved her and it was okay for her to go.

On Thursday morning, I went to take her from her bed as usual, and discovered she had passed away.

We loved this dog and I knew how much she meant to DH and I was never convinced that putting her down was the right thing to do because of my concern for him. I share this to say how thankful I am that God does care about the events and concerns in our lives and He knew this would be best. I am so thankful to You, Lord for letting Trudy go peacefully in her sleep.

My friend Bettye and Trudy had a great friendship and so it just seemed fitting
that she be buried in Bettye's back yard out in the country.

Continuing to pray for Terri's good recovery from her knee surgery.



10 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Oh! This brought tears to my eyes, dear lady. Wouldn't Trudy love it? I especially love the first photo … tho' I had to pull it up here on my big monitor, to reassure myself she wasn't floating in a puddle of green squish. (*smile*)

songbird's crazy world said...

Sometimes dogs just know when it's time to go. Your Trudy sounds like a very special dog.

Cranberry Morning said...

What a story. It's so heartbreaking to see our beloved dogs suffer dementia, but such a mercy and blessing that God granted your request. Our Misty was blind and suffered dementia the last couple years of her life. I too took her everywhere, and she simply wanted to be beside me at all times. I'm so grateful that God put animals on this planet and made us caretakers of them.

Chatty Crone said...

My heart broke ready that.

So she had dementia - I guess I didn't think of dogs getting that.

We have not had one yet - Disco has been our one and only - but boy if you hear of wailing one day from GA - know it is from here!

Hugs. sandie

Stacy said...

Oh, my heart. I have had pets go both ways and both were impossibly hard. I loved your description of Trudy. She sounds a lot like the Mini Schnauzer my mom and stepdad have now. Lacey is a bolter, too. All of us have spent hours and logged many miles chasing after her. I'd probably leave a bit to see if she was smart enough to come home, but Mom and John get so frantic when she gets loose and take off after her and then I have to worry about them being out in the woods chasing her up and down the mountain.

NanaDiana said...

This just brought tears to my eyes reading it. That was God's timing-not your own. I keep you and your hubby in my prayers and know life is not always easy. I hope you have a good night and great Sunday- xo Diana

Jill said...

Dogs truly do bring so much love and joy to our lives. So hard to let them go....

Blessings,
Jill

Natalia said...

Trudy was looking so much likd my own dog, who has gone in Summer. I can feel your pain!

Cathy said...

What a sweet, sweet post. God is so awesome! He even cares about our love our a animals. Amazing story, thanks for sharing.

roughterrain crane said...

It's so nice to live with dogs.