On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Carbs, The Music Man and Ice Hockey

What do those three things have in common? Nothing. It's just what my recap is about!

Since the unwanted pounds are not melting away, I decided to try what seems to work for our son: Low carbs. Sylvia has had great success and so have others. So I began on Friday. With each new day comes a new temptation, but I have done pretty well. However, low carbs mean no bread and that’s no good!

So I checked out Pinterest to find a recipe for the cloud bread I saw the other day. Double whammy! It called for softened cream cheese, nope! And right next to that recipe, what do you think popped up? Baking powder buttermilk biscuits! A pot roast was in the oven and almost done, so I decided to try the biscuits. I would be good, I told myself. It’s been years since I made biscuits and the thought of buttermilk biscuits was causing me to salivate.

They were gooooood! I didn't take a photo, but in addition to being very light and tasty, they were pretty!!

Tomorrow, back to the low carb thingee! 😃 I found this link to be very helpful since I have never been up on carbs. I just eat what I like! https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

The past few days and the weekend was full. Last Thursday after BSF, I went to visit a woman who has been very weak and lonely since her husband passed away late last summer. She is much older than me, but we got to know them a little when we went to Israel with our church many years ago. I took her some lunch and we had good conversation. So glad I finally got a chance to be with her and encourage her. I understand that loneliness. Alone in the house ... the empty bed .. alone at the table.

Friday it rained all day, but on Thursday evening at dinner with Fred and Alice, I kind of committed to checking out the estate sale they were helping with. It was a nasty day to get out of the house, but it was interesting looking around that huge home filled with everything imaginable. The late owner was not so much a hoarder as an addicted shopper. Is there a difference? She was only 42 years old and apparently had an addictive personality as she had been addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol, as a result of back pain. That is just so sad to think about.

Anyway, we don’t need any extra “stuff” in our house, but I did find three brand new pair of nice sunglasses, mine having broken just the day before, and the price was so low it seemed to make sense to have a couple of extras for back-up! Other purchases included a tablecloth which now will go in the goodwill bag, two necklaces, and a really nice print (now wondering where in the world I will hang it)!

On Saturday, we drove up to Sherman to see my old friend star in the local production of The Music Man! She was Marian the Librarian and did a fantastic job! I knew Jennifer was a soprano, but wow! She could certainly hit those high notes. We got to visit with her afterward. (Why didn’t I think to take her a bouquet of flowers?) Everybody in the show did very well and now I think I am going to buy tickets to see the musical Annie in April and take Kate with me.


After church on Sunday, we went to watch the Allen American ice hockey team play Utah! Really, it wasn’t about ice hockey, but rather it was to see Kate and her classmates sing the Star Spangled Banner before the game. They sounded wonderful and we were so proud of them all. We had so much fun!


Moi, Amy and her Mom, Cindy


This is Us!!

Just a few random photos at the game.



5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed the pictures. Hey I feel I haven't talked to you in awhile - and I hadn't. I have been sick with the flu but doing better now. Why would you like to lose weight - YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! I am going to check pit your site if it will let me copy! sandie

Terri D said...

Those photos are so FUN!! Low carb works great and is not hard to stick to. That cloud bread does not taste like cream cheese, if that is what you don't like. You can make a great pizza crust with diced cauliflower. Some of the thin sliced breads on the bread aisle are low carb - you just have to look. Eat the carbs for breakfast. It works. Good luck!

NanaDiana said...

I gave up sugar, white flour & artificial sweeteners the first of February and feel so much better- not so much for the weight loss-although that is a really great bonus -but for the anti-inflammatory issues. So far so good and it is helping. The temptation of sweets gets easier with each day that passes by.

Love the pictures of the kids and you. I hope you have a great night- xo Diana

Pamela M. Steiner said...

You certainly lead a busy and productive, enjoyable life! This was all so interesting...and entertaining. I went to the Dr. this week for my check up , and I've gained a few pounds. I was not happy about that. I blamed it on the lasagna I ate this past weekend...and winter. So now that winter is pretty much over and done with here (such as it was) I have no excuse. BAck to walking more regularly and eating my salads for lunch...no extra breads... I can do this...I knew my jeans were getting snug. I was blaming it on the dryer... Have a blessed day my friend.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I have found that a low carb diet is super easy compared to other diets. I've had great success in the past, if only I was doing it now! That was sweet of your to visit the lonely woman whose husband had passed away. That is also very sad about the 42 years old woman. Music Man sounds enjoyable. I've always enjoyed the songs. Look like a good time at the hockey game!