On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A Musical Hodgepodge

1. April is National Jazz Appreciation Month. Are you a fan? No. If so what's a favorite you'd recommend to someone new to jazz listening? No recommendations here. 
2. Mandolin, ukulele, harp, accordion or banjo...which would you be most interested in learning to play?

From this list, it would be the mandolin, ukulele or banjo. I especially enjoy watching a good mandolin or banjo player. Sonya Isaacs is fabulous on the mandolin and Dolly Parton is amazing on the banjo. And I love singing along with my sis-in-law as she plays her ukulele. 
Or do you already play one of the instruments listed? I wish.

3. Do you judge a book by it's cover? Sometimes. Elaborate. You may answer in either/both the literal or figurative sense of the word.
When looking for a good book to read, I do notice the cover, but first of all, I read what the book is about, I notice who endorses the book, and I read the reviews. When it comes to people, I try very hard to not judge a person that way.

4. According to a recent study the ten most nutritious foods are-almonds, cherimoya (supposed to taste like a cross between a pineapple/banana), ocean perch, flatfish (such as flounder and halibut), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, swiss chard, pork fat (shocking! but I don't think they mean bacon), beet greens, and red snapper. Are any of these foods a regular part of your diet?

I eat a lot of almonds, I like flounder, but don't get to eat it that often, chia seeds are in my favorite dark chocolate with raspberries and I eat some of that every day. Pumpkin seeds are good and so is Swiss chard.
Any you've never ever tasted? I've never heard of cherimoya, let alone taste it.
Which would you be most inclined to add to your diet?The pumpkin seeds and Swiss chard.
Blech to pork fat! Gross!

5. Besides a major holiday what is the most recent thing you've celebrated with your people? We celebrated our daughter-in-law's birthday.
Tell us how.
We had dinner out with her and the kids. It was very low key, but it was fun. This week, I am hopeful to get to celebrate Jack's birthday, since we will be out of town on his birthday. He will be seven!! Oh my goodness!!

What a fine boy you are! I love you.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I recently did the ancestry.com test. It was something I had wanted to do for quite some time, but didn't take the steps until my brother, sis-in-law and nephew did it. After checking the mail every day for results, they finally came in. No surprises, but I did find it very interesting to see the percentages of my ethnicity, and the migration of my ancestors.  Anybody else done the test!

And in conjunction with that, yesterday was National Siblings Day. I love mine.




Today is National Pet Day!!

I love you too, Annie.



13 comments:

Cathy said...

Love the pictures of your pup and you and your siblings. Hubby and I sent our DNA in on March 10. We're still waiting. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Have a great day

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Happy Birthday to that cute grandson. He just looks like such a sweet and kind child. I got my DNA results back last week and it was interesting but not surprising. It showed I am 69% Great Britain/English. The migration was also interesting. I've been working on my Ancestry Tree for some time and finally got it back to the first family to come over. From the latest info I came across, my 11th or so great grandfather helped settle Maryland and was the first governor. I will really have to check that out to be sure. Have a great rest of your week.

Debby Ray said...

I loved seeing so many of my friends and family sharing Sibling Day pics on facebook. How cool about the ancestry.com info. Maybe some day I will do this as well! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Toni said...

Hi Nonnie, enjoyed your hodgepodge answers. Happy birthday to your adorable grandson. I'm hoping to do the DNA test soon myself. My sister did it but her percentage may be a little different than mine even thought we had the same parents. That's what I'm told. Have a day of blessings my friend.

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
Dolly Parton was one of my Grandma and Grandpa's favorites. I would listen to her with them. Fun memories.
Have a blessed week,
Carla

Chatty Crone said...

Love to Annie and Jack happy birthday. I am not a big fan of jazz. I think the harp looks so unique and hard to play. I wonder if they mean pork rinds? I try to eat 8 dark chocolate almonds every day - lol. So would you recommend doing Ancestry.com? sandie

Julie said...

I had a dog named Annie...many years ago. She was a beautiful shepherd/husky mix and I loved her dearly.

Terri D said...

I did the Ancestry DNA a few years ago when it was just out of Beta testing. Lots of fun and very interesting.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The book cover will grab me also but the description must be good also. Happy Birthday to Jack! No I haven't had that test done but have given it some thought.

Visits With Mary said...

I do the same thing when looking for a book to read. (although I don't read much anymore) I love almonds and eat them often, never heard of a cherimoya and the pork fat is yukky!!

Life SPW said...

Greetings from NH. I am a fellow Hodgepodge participant. My blog page is listed next to your page on Joyce's list.
Happy birthday to Jack. I love the pictures with your siblings.
Have a great week.

Joyce said...

I haven't done the ancestry test but am curious. I don't think there will be many surprises but I guess you never know. Which company did you use?

sanpiseth40 said...

I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!Thanks for sharing.
ดูหนังออนไลน์