On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Novel Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge Fun!


1. We've reached edition number 315 here in the Wednesday Hodgepodge. So tell us, what were you doing at 3:15 yesterday?

I was enjoying a cup of coffee as I rested from the events of the morning, which began very early with a doctor appointment for DH and breakfast afterward, taking the car for service ... TWICE ... a little shopping and back home to take care of a few things! We did get a good report from the cardiologist, so that is always something to be thankful for. As I drove away from the car dealership looking forward to being home, I glanced over to see the heart hospital on my left and was extremely thankful that we are done with that!


Is that typical?
Off and on it is. I'm usually reading or working on something by that time.

On a scale of 1-10 (with 1 being low and 10 being high) what's your energy level usually like at 3:15 PM?

Probably 5 since I get up around 5 to 5:30 am and prefer to do whatever needs to be done early, but if need be, my tank is still half full.

2. A frisbee, a tantrum, a towel, a party, a punch, or a curveball...which have you most recently thrown or had thrown at/for you? Elaborate.

A curveball and I won't elaborate because I caught it, threw it back and I'm over it now.

3. What are three things that would help you right now.
  1. Maybe to be somewhere quiet, peaceful and much cooler - Colorado sounds good - in a cabin tucked away in the mountains by a river.
  2. To be back in a routine and schedule.
  3. To remember to savor what is going on right now, be it good or bad.

    Tell us how or why.
I feel conflicted as to whether I want to run away or if I just want things to be more predictable right now. That's why number 3 helps me now.

4. Do you think you're strong?
No/Yes

Why or why not?
I know I'm weak - but I also know I'm strong because I've been through a lot of "stuff" and come through even stronger.

What makes you strong?

The Lord is my strength! My past experience with Him is I know He will bring me through whatever comes. 

The LORD [is] my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. Psalm 28:7 KJV

5. Do you enjoy reading historical fiction? Yes.

What's your favorite book set sometime in the past? So many good historical books.

Israel, My Beloved
Redeeming Love
Gone with the Wind
A Tale of Two Cities
A Voice in the Wind
Quo Vadis*
The Big Fisherman*
The Robe*
(*The last three books were so much better than the movies. The movies were somewhat hokey!)

Can't wait to see everybody else's favorites because I bet some of mine I've forgotten will be on the list.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I hope I can make this brief and non-judgmental. Last evening as I prepared dinner, DH had the TV on a station which was previewing and discussing current movies. The celebrities were talking about their movies enthusiastically, which I can certainly understand because that is what they do. However, it was my feeling that the movies they were discussing did not merit the eloquence of their commentary.  You would think they were discussing a novel deserving of the Nobel Prize! But what were they raving about? Emoji's! Really!!


One thing that struck me as I listened to them go on and on was that actors, film makers, writers, etc. in the Hollywood world speak of their "craft" or their "art" as though it will live on forever. Most of the movies made these days which they are leaving as their legacy are not worthy of me wasting two hours of my life or my money. It is sad to think probably the majority of them have no idea these things are temporary and passing away. Don't get me wrong. I know there have been many good movies made and I have enjoyed some over and over. But they are temporary things of this world!

What disturbs me most are the messages and images and words which are being imprinted in the minds and the thoughts of the generation that is following us and our grandchildren. They are being shown and told in subtle and not so subtle ways that the unspeakable things of yesterday have become the norm. It just makes. me. mad.


But! there is hope! And so I won't leave my random on a negative note. Here is a link to a website Hollywood Prayer Network which is dedicated to praying for Hollywood and the Christians who live and work there.


Okay! I'm off.

11 comments:

Carla from The River said...

A Tale of Two Cities ... a favorite of mine. I just listened to it on audio while doing my meals on wheels route. The person who read the book was so good with accents. My boys also read it this year. They both enjoyed it and we discussed it at dinner many nights.

Have a great week!
Carla

NanaDiana said...

I love your answers, Connie. That is so true about Hollywood today. Temporal and most of the movies are unworthy of my time. You nailed that!

Hope you have a great week and I am like you- wish things could settle into some sort of a routine. I feel like I am in limbo much of the time. xo Diana

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I totally agree with your random thought! Where is the creativity of yesteryear? And as you stated, worst of all are the messages and images being sent to our younger generation through film! I'm mad right along with you, but happy to know there's a group dedicated to praying about this.
Kathy (Reflections)

Chatty Crone said...

Well I think you are strong myself. I also am a morning person - by three I like to be home from the
day. I can't remember yesterday at 3:15. Sounds like you might have struggles now - this too will pass. And I agree with what you said in your random thoughts! I feel the exact same way. sandie

Debbie said...

I see we love several of the same books! Why doesn't this surprise me? lol I totally agree with your random thought. I try soo hard to find good, inspirational, Christian themed movies but it's so hard. And yet I've noticed that the theaters are no less packed for these then they are for the others. Why can Hollywood not see that there is a real desire for many for wholesome movies? And where was I yesterday at 3:15?? Driving home from Newport, hopelessly, though temporarily of course lol, lost on the freeways after missing not one but two of my connections! And what am I USUALLY doing about that time? Grabbing my 10 to 15 minute power nap! Maybe that's what was wrong, lol. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Vicki said...

I see a few books listed in #5 that I've never heard of. I'll be checking them out.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I could not agree more with your random. We saw an ad the other night about a product to help you have a greater sex life. I looked at D and said, a few years ago that would not have even been permitted in an R rated movie much less an ad on prime time TV. Your book list reminded me that I have my mothers original 1942 copy of "The Robe" and have never read it. That has moved to the top of my reading list. So enjoyed your answers today, my friend.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well that was one busy day. Glad the cardiologist report was a good one. Way to go on the curve ball! A cabin in the woods sounds perfect to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in your random.

Joyce said...

I kind of giggle when actors talk about the importance of their work as if they're curing cancer. I do think the world needs art and beauty, but much of Hollywood's output now could not be described as either.

Terri D said...

A great random 'rant' about Hollywood and movies. I couldn't agree more! I will check out the link you gave us. Enjoyed your Hodgepodge. Hugs!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.