On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

It's a Mad, Mad Hodgepodge!

Spring has sprung and Summer is already trying to rush Spring with our temps the past couple of days reaching 90! 

1. Setting aside the real March Madness (NCAA Basketball) describe something happening at your house this month that might earn the title 'March Madness'?

It would have to have been last week with all four kids on spring break, dealing with my dog who was nearing the end of her life, getting the taxes ready, and then, the biggest stressor of all, my husband's upcoming surgery next week. The madness of the latter has been in the waiting. I am optimistic and hopeful that March madness will soon end and we will roll into April with hearts lighter and a real good spring in my DH's steps. 

2. What's a favorite made up word from your childhood or a favorite from your children's childhood? Does your family still use the word today? If there's a story behind the origin please share.

I can't think of any made up words. I guess we missed out on something fun. 

3. Will you be doing any spring cleaning now that the season is upon us? I read here a list of 15 quick (under one hour) spring cleaning tasks. They were-

clean out a drawer, vacuum furniture, whiten tile grout, dust the nooks and crannies you don't get to year round, degrease kitchen cabinets, wipe down walls, go behind furniture, wipe down ceiling fans, vacuum the mattress, clean the range hood, wash baseboards, shine the stainless steel, clean out vents, tackle the windows, and wipe down gadgets

Of the fifteen 'quick' tasks listed which two most need doing at your house? Will you do them?

Those are all great ideas! Week before last, I woke up and just had the urge to clean all the windows on the back side of the house. I followed through and was so proud of myself. It did take longer than an hour though. I also did some wipe downs in the kitchen. Everything else will have to wait for a while. 

4. A favorite movie set in Paris or New York?

These questions that ask for a favorite are difficult. I can never just choose one. 
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Miracle on 34th Street (with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood), and The Devil Wears Prada which I believe was set in both New York AND Paris.

5. What's put a spring in your step this month?

The grandkids. Just keeping up with them will put a spring in your step. 

6. Did you ever want to be a teacher?

Yes, when I was young. But just because one had the desire doesn't mean they would have been able to continue with the passion, so as I grew up, I realized, no, I wasn't meant to be a teacher. 

Why or why not? 

I don't think I have the patience to deal with the inattention and disrespect. I just don't have the gift. 

7.  What's your favorite floral scent? Peony 

Do you have this somewhere in your home or maybe in a perfume?

In the yard. They smell heavenly. It would be nice if their blooms lasted longer because I absolutely love the scent. Once I got a real snootful when sniffing deeply into the flower which had teeny little ants in it. Now that's a tickly whiff.


How do you feel about florals in food? That's not something I've thought about. 
How about wines with floral notes-yay or nay? Nay. I'm not a wine person.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Many of my high school classmates have passed away, but one who died suddenly last week has caught me off guard. I wasn't close with her in high school, but we reconnected on Facebook and were enjoying sharing about our families and exchanging thoughts every day about life, politics and our faith in God. Saturday a week ago she posted a few fun things on Facebook and the next thing we know, her brother informed us she had a massive stroke from which she never recovered. Wow! I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't stop thinking about how fragile life is. Even though I know all too well the truth of the following having experienced it myself, it still leaves one reeling. 


On a lighter note, this morning at Ladies of Grace, three of us must have received the memo because we all were wearing striped tops. Someone wanted to take a pic and Erin stepped in for the photobomb.



14 comments:

Theresa said...

Isn't it funny how groups of people can be wearing very similar things? There are some weeks at church where everyone seems to be wearing just two colors. Sorry about your friend. Glad you were able to reconnect and most importantly share your faith in God. Have a great week :)

Preppy Empty Nester said...

So sorry about your friend. I love that saying that you posted. I love the movie "The Devil Wear Prada" too. Enjoy your week.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. The quote that you shared is so appropriate and true. I hope that the memories you shared with her provide some comfort in this difficult time.

Peonies give off such a beautiful fragrance. It's always a joy to bring one into the home and have be able to smell it throughout the day.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I am so sorry for the sudden loss of your friend and couldn't agree more with your saying at the end. We just never need to take a single day or relationship for granted. But, isn't it wonderful to have reconnected now with things in common after all those years. Thank you Facebook! Love the matching outfits and especially your bright, springy strips. Continuing to pray for you and your DH in the days ahead.

Mrs.T said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend. Life is indeed so very fragile and there are no guarantees.

Interesting about the matching striped tops. As someone mentioned above, we often will see that at church ... nearly all the ladies will be wearing red and black in some combination, for instance.

And we have peonies in that very same color!

April said...

Very sorry about the loss of your friend...it does open your eyes to the fragility of life and how to not take it for granted. Praying for your hubby...I know this is a difficult time for you all.

Cranberry Morning said...

I do hope that all goes well with your husband's surgery next week. It sounds like March has been a difficult one for you. Hopefully April will be lighter, as you said. Good for you for getting the windows done! It's such a huge job and I'm not looking forward to it. Great poster at the end. We all need to be reminded of that.

Joyce said...

My next door neighbor in the UK collected rare species of Peonies. His garden was one of the loveliest spaces I've ever been invited to sit in. I still kind of drool over it when I think about it. We definitely need to wash windows, but will wait until the pollen settles down a bit. I will add your hubs to my prayers as he faces this procedure. I'm sure the waiting makes for an anxious time.

Carla from The River said...

I love Miracle on 34th Street too!

I also love peonies. I did learn a trick on how to pick them as a fresh cut flower and they last for a good week in the house.

I am sending prayers.
Carla

Debbie said...

I am sorry for your sudden loss of your friend. Yes, not a one of us can take a single breath for granted. I LOVE peonies and had them in abundance at my old house we lived in for 25 years! And your right, they smell heavenly. Praying all goes well with hubby's upcoming surgery, and that his recovery is swift and complete!

Jill said...

So sorry to hear about your high school classmate. That's so sad...
When is your husband's surgery? I am going in on Monday as long as my lungs are clear enough from this cold virus that has been lingering. They have me on antibiotics now. What is he having done if you don't mind me asking, if you prefer not not share I understand :-) I will keep him in my prayers! Enjoy your afternoon!

Blessings,
Jill

Terri D said...

I'm sorry about your friends sudden stroke and death. It does give one pause when something like that happens. We just never know. You are so right about that. I'll keep your DH in my prayers!!

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

Your graphic about not taking life for granted is so true. We are not promised tomorrow so we should let others know how much we love them as often as possible. Have a great week.

Dianna said...

I was really sorry to hear about your friend's sudden passing. Your graphic really hits home...we are not promised tomorrow, so we really need to make the most of today.

I continue to pray for your husband's surgery. It will be good for both of you to have it behind you.

I enjoyed all of your answers here today, my friend.