On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday Memories - My Husband

I think I'll keep him!


Brace yourself! I'm about to do some very serious bragging. So excited to get to share Monday Memories this time about our husbands. You can have some fun recalling those special times and joining Retired Not Retired right here.


So just 'whar in the world do you suppose a girl in Texas might meet her guy? No Whar But Texas!!! Honest Injun! Although the two never met, it was to my Mom's dismay, and to my Dear Heart's embarrassment sometimes, that we met in a dancehall! I'm just glad we were both there at the same time!!! No Whar But Texas was a country western establishment where you could just go have some fun two-steppin! It was my first time there and I was going to learn how to two-step. He was there just chilling! He took me around the dance floor that night and then breakfast after. To our amazement, we discovered we lived within about a mile of each other and had probably even passed each other in the same Safeway grocery store. 

I had no idea when we met what a roller coaster of a ride and adventure we would have because he is sometimes a bit of a wild and crazy guy! Often it has been somewhat of a circus! Oh well. I am the cautious, he is the risk-taker in our home! I'm sure you can see from these photos that he has a twinkle in his eye.



From the very beginning of our meeting, he was the kind of guy who pursued and wanted to spend every spare minute together. He also wanted me and his kids to mesh, and we did! They came with us on our second date, and I remember thinking this has to be a nice guy - he loves his kids so much. I was right. My guy has a dear and sweet heart and is a generous man.

After we were married, I found that he was an energetic and industrious worker with many talents who always has to have some kind of project going. From building a beautiful deck that was a little overwhelming in the beginning to a beautiful work we enjoyed for years.


He worked hard on building a windmill to conserve energy. He also likes conserving his own energy so he rigged up his lawnmower with a rope to a stake so the self-propelled lawnmower would mow the yard while he did the edging and weed eating. Clever, huh? People driving by always slowed down to do a double take. This year he was very into aquaponics and hydroponics. Suffice it to say, it's always something.

I also found that his gift-giving leaned more to the practical side rather than the sentimental, although I have to say that the fact of his caring is quite sentimental. My first birthday gift from him was no - not flowers, candy, clothes or jewelry. It was an automatic garage door opener, of all things! He was concerned for me having to walk from my car outside to the house. For the past 18 years, my birthday gift each year is a housekeeper every other week! What better and more practical and usable gift could you ask for? Not only does this gift help me, but it has blessed our housekeeper tremendously (who also happens to be one of my closest and dearest of friends.)

On the other hand, there were some crazy, quirky little things that made me wonder! One evening (before the deck and hot tub) I arrived home from work to his "surprise" for me! He had hooked up a hose to the hot water tank to fill up our ski boat parked in the back yard with hot water for a "hot tub!" HA! So we were the weird family sitting in our boat full of hot water in our back yard! 

He's a man's man! Very proud of serving thirteen years in the National Guard as a Lieutenant, graduated from Officer's Candidate School Airborne. Although he graduated with a degree in Economics, his choice of career was to follow in the footsteps of his Dad and become a firefighter. Now his son is also a firefighter, being  the third generation of captains from our family with the Dallas Fire Department.

This guy loves flying and it was his dream to learn to fly, so he took lessons and got his pilot's license! He said that when he flies, it brings tears to his eyes. Although I was his passenger (hostage) on those little Cessnas several times, it was not my dream to fly! So what did he do? He put together a gyrocopter because he researched and believed it to be the safest way to fly and was convinced I would love it someday when we had a two-seater gyro! NOT!

This is a gyrocopter!
What do you think?
He actually crashed in one of these and wore long-sleeve shirts for a couple of days to hide his arm from me! The scar is still there.

Sports we enjoyed together were snow skiing and our ski boat. When we moved out near the lake, he bought an amphibious ATV so we could ride around the lake AND ACROSS the lake! And, of course, my first trip out with him, we got stuck in the mud and had to walk home through creepy, swampy lake area filled with chiggers, critters, and snakes.

Next on his list was a motorcycle which I had to learn to ride! And, after that, a Harley with a side car. Are you getting the picture here that he wanted me to go along? I'm really sorry that most of the things my Dear Heart wanted to include me in were just a little scary to me. 



Our most fun adventures together have been to travel. You mention a trip and he is always ready to go. We have been fortunate to have traveled twice to Israel, several countries in Europe, Greece, Turkey, Canada, Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico and almost every state in the U.S. His excitement on a trip is HYPER for the first three or four days before he is able to settle down. When we were in Paris, he would arise at 5 every morning to take the metro all around the city to see the sights on his own before returning to our hotel to join the tour.

He is a forgiving man. I have made lots of boo-boos in my lifetime with him, and one that stands out is when I put regular gas in his diesel VW. That was an expensive repair, but when I called him crying about it, his remark was simply, "Don't worry about it! As far as I'm concerned, you can do no wrong in my book!" 

He is tender-hearted and a guy who will watch shows with me like Call the Midwife or Downton Abbey and cry like a baby. He is also the guy who stands at the back door of the church to help the Moms and Dads get their little ones inside. He sees to getting the paraplegic in a wheelchair down to the sanctuary at church. He helps with dishes and laundry. And he is the one who took care of his Mom as she suffered for many years, and his brother in his last months. Sometimes he will make a trip upstairs to where I'm reading or doing something and make me stop to listen to the words of a song and tell me with tears in his eyes that is how he feels about me. His verbal expressions of love and thankfulness for me are frequent throughout the day.

Of course there are those times when he is not so perfect? Oh yeah! He can push my buttons sometimes.


But I count myself blessed!

We have been retired for the past four years now, and it has been a big adjustment for him because he loved the camaraderie of the fellowship with other firefighters (and I think being Captain - I have to remind him sometimes he is not the captain here!) Being a guy who loved planes, it was his good fortune to be assigned to aircraft fire and rescue at the airport.



I have always stayed busy with things to do with my friends and Bible studies, but I'm happy for him that he has found a group of retired buddies who call themselves the McRats and his calendar is pretty full with activities now.




We have weathered a lot of storms together over the past 28 years, but I am thankful that the Lord has brought us through them all and made us stronger in our faith and our relationship.

Okay! 'Nuff said.

13 comments:

Linda Kay said...

Connie, what a lovely tribute to your hubby. It is really wonderful to be adored by someone, and I share you good fortune. The firefighting is such a dangerous career, and God bless him for serving in that manor. My hubby goes to lunch with the ROMEOs in the neighborhood (Retired Old Men Eating Out), and he has found some really good friends as well in retirement. We enjoy being together, but also enjoy our space. Thanks!

NanaDiana said...

I read every word, Connie. What a blessing to have a husband like that. You are really and truly loved unconditionally and there is nothing more precious than that in the world!

What a beautiful couple you make, too. Thank you so much for sharing the bits and pieces of your life with us. He makes that saying-"Life is an adventure or nothing at all" come alive, doesn't he?

God bless you- I hope you enjoy many,many years of retirement together and have many more wonderful adventures that you can share here. I am sure his big and loving heart is what made him a superior captain.

Have a wonderful week. xo Diana

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I really enjoyed reading about your hubby, since so many of his traits remind me of my own husband, Ed! So glad we were both blessed with great husbands :)
Ed has yet to retire, but I'm thinking it will be an adjustment for him, as well. He feels like he always has to be DOING something...
(Kathy) from Reflections by Kathy

LA Botchar said...

This was so much Fun reading about him!! What a sense of adventure he has - love it!! And with such a caring, loving heart too. And brave! Wow. You certainly did hit the jackpot! LOL
I am not surprised these days when I read about relationships that are loving and real and standing the test of time: and that the word "faith" eventually appears at some point when describing it. :)

Terri D said...

Thank you so much for the (always) kind comments you leave on my blogs! I loved reading about your dear husband, and thank you for sharing so much with us!! I really hope that we can all meet in person some day, Connie. I am always amazed that we seem to have so much in common. You are so blessed!! Loved reading this!

Chatty Crone said...

Well is it your anniversary? He sounds just WONDERFUL - like a match made in Heaven. I am so happy for you!

Aloha Acres said...

I love this. What a fun couple the two of you are. It makes me so happy.

yaya said...

What a gem you found! I think this match was made in heaven and I love your tribute to him. Enjoy many more years together and many more adventures! You two are a handsome couple!

Empty Nester said...

What a great guy! And he DOES have a twinkle in his eye!!! Is he related to Santa? LOL Y'all are fantastic. I loved reading this!

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, I enjoyed reading this post! It is such a gift to have a wonderful Hubby! He seems like he has kept you on your toes and doing the two step! LOL
Blessings, Roxy

Jill said...

Loved reading your love story, he reminds me some of my husband in that he enjoys life! What a blessing and you two look very happy together. I wish you many more years! Have a very merry Christmas and many blessings to you.

Jill

Wanda said...

I read every word too. What a wonderful tribute to a great guy and how fun to get to know both of you a little better with this marvelous post.
I love a good Love Story...and yours fills the bill.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

aww... I love this post! Such a sweet tribute to your husband and to many years of love!