On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Equal Portions

Tonight I divvied up leftovers for supper.
That is a rare occurrence at our house
(unless I am the one eating them, that is.)
Since the beef stew was so yummy the other night,
it just seemed a good plan to finish it off.
After making some cornbread,
and a salad to round it out.
I poured it into the bowls,
and wondered if it would be enough for the two of us.
I made sure that the portions were "even"
'cause Dear Heart always notices things like that!
Me too.
Granny made a comment to me many years ago
as she watched me slice cake for my husband and I.
One piece was definitely bigger and better!
So sweetly she said, "Aww, Connie Jean, that's what I do.
I always give the best slice to your Grandad."
 
 
Ooops!!!
My face is red.
The big piece was for me.
 
Dear Heart eats gobbles his food up quickly
(a habit from many years with the Fire Department).
I am a very slow eater so, of course,
he always finishes his first.
 
Can somebody please tell me why he thinks
that entitles him to what is left on my plate?
(It is also my job to save the bite that our dog Trudy is waiting for.)
Really. What is equal about that?
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

yaya said...

I loved the cake story! Too funny! The food thing I think is really a "guy" thing...happens here too!

Linda said...

Funny!!! I give LD more since he's so much bigger than I am.....but I am ashamed to say that often we eat the same amount!!

Once when I was a little girl I cut a grapefruit in half for breakfast. One was smaller than the other so I thought I would just eat that one FIRST. My dear granddad came in the kitchen and said, "Oh, may I have the other half?" Of course I said YES! But I also made a mental note to eat the biggest half FIRST from then on!!

Sweet Tea said...

That's what I call "male math".

Once, when we were newly weds, we were guests of a large family gathering - not OUR family. Anyway, once all of we women had set up the large buffet table, prayer was said and everyone was called to eat. I was standing near the table so that placed me toward the front of the line. I filled my plate and went to sit down. The host, who was the Grandmother of this big clan, approached me and politely told me that the women were supposed to fill their husband's plates before they filled their own. I remember being very embarassed. Guess "it was just a different time".

kc bob said...

I made sure that the portions were "even"

LOL, great to know that my wife and I are not alone in that! :)

Chatty Crone said...

I am with you totally on the cake size - but my husband knows that - lol.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.