On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Scents of Spring

Let's see if I can remember how to join the Hodgepodge with Joyce. Spring questions this week, so join the fun here.

1. What are some memories you associate with spring?

My birthday, Easter clothes, mom letting us go barefoot outside, trips to the nursery to buy flowers to plant, thoughts of vacation and trips to the Dallas Arboretum with my friends to simply enjoy all the blooms: Azaleas, tulips, just everything you could think of.

From the long ago past

These dresses were pale blue organdy, with blue net aprons and the ruffled sleeves 
and little silk flowers at the neck.

These dresses were dotted swiss, white with pink dots and, of course,
ruffles. I guess I was a little impatient wanting to get on with the Easter Egg hunt.


Sweet memories with friends

2. April showers bring May flowers...was that saying proven true where you live? Snapdragons, anemones, carnations, lilacs, sweet peas, tulips, lily of the valley, orchids, roses, gardenias...which one on that list is your favorite May bloom?

Roses! My other favorite is not listed. Peony. I love peonies and watching them come up out of the ground, bushing out, and big blossoms that turned into the sweetest smell. ❤️ I’m going to find a place to plant some in my yard. Mother always had carnations and roses.

Flowers I left behind


3. What are your top three distractions and how do you deal with them?
  • Phone
  • my brain thinking about what needs to be done next
  • the dog.
  • I try to slap my hands or hide the phone, but that really doesn't work (I'm fibbing here, the phone is always with me. I do ignore some phone calls when necessary and I don't allow notifications from Facebook, etc.).
  • Make a list and prioritize
  • Just let her sit on my lap or talk to her as she follows me around, or just give in and take her for a walk.
4. Do you eat beef? Yes.

In the course of a week, how often is beef on the menu? Maybe a couple of times, meat sauce for spaghetti, a small meatloaf, that kind of thing. 

A hamburger, steak, prime rib, or a roast beef dinner...which beef entree would you choose and yes you have to choose. Unless you're a vegan, and then you may pass.

I love a good roast beef dinner, but the cheeseburger is a close second. A good steak is enjoyed when one of the guys are grilling.

5. In what way were you creative during the month of April? 

Nothing comes to mind right now, but I am going to share our son's creativity. He built this chicken coop for Amy's chickens. He didn't have a pattern, he just built it and put wheels on it so it can be easily moved around the yard.



6. Insert your own random thought here.

I’m trying to get back into the swing of blogging again. Not too much to write home about, but I’m enjoying every day. I am trying to get some landscaping done and windows replaced in my house. Also, I’m looking forward to doing some front porch sitting with my neighbors and contemplating a trip to Mackinac island this summer.

12 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

That is a nice coop

Joyce said...

Carla who blogs at The River and joins the HP most weeks wrote a post recently about her chicken wagon. It looked very similar. I love peonies too. We're trying to grow one here. It looked dead last summer, but hubs moved it and it's back so I'm hopeful. Enjoy your day!

Carla from The River said...

Hi, I had to chuckle, my husband just built me a chicken tractor. :-) My hens have a regular coop and a run. With the tractor I can put them in it and let them do some garden clean up and eat pests. ;-) We LOVE having our chickens. We have five of them, Holly, Molly, Dolly, Lolly and Polly.

Give your sweet dog a pat from me. :-)

Cathy said...

My dad and my brother both loved peonies too and actually so did my grandpa. The often had them in their yards. I was privileged to go to Mackinac Island as a chaperone and driver with my youngest daughter's school trip. Such a beautiful place.

Linda said...

That is the coolest chicken coop, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful week.

Mevely317 said...

That chicken coop is brilliant ... I've got to show this to son and DIL. (Theirs was inherited and is falling apart.
A trip to Macinac Island sounds wonderful! I've not been there in 55 years -- we were on a Great Lakes cruise -- but I sure remember it fondly!

Terri D said...

I enjoyed your Hodgepodge today! I haven't seen anyone who turns away beef! I LOVE the chicken coop your son designed and built! WOW! Lucky cluckers!! Happy Wednesday! xo

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy Birthday! I know Easter comes to mind when I think of Spring. Sweet photos. I haven't seen any peonies since we have been in CA. Our neighbor in Western Springs, IL had beautiful ones. Lots of yummy things to eat with beef. The chicken coop is awesome. I would love to go back to Mackinac Island. We honeymooned there in 1972.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Peonies are gorgeous and I'm not sure why we do not have some in our yard. I know Hubby likes them too so I'll have to check with him about it. :o)) Love the chicken coop wagon, so cleaver. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I just loved peonies when we lived in Ohio, but they don't grow in Florida. Those or lilacs. And I love them both. I hope you will be able to grow some and enjoy them for me. I am so glad you are back to blogging. I've missed you here. That chicken coop is a coupe de ville of coops! LOL. Wow! Chickens have really come up in the world these days! I like your list of distractions. It try to ignore things on my phone...I only hear text messages and the actual phone calls, but I see a notification for facebook and messenger. I may eliminate those too. I loved your Easter dresses your mother made for you. She was quite a seamstress!! Beautiful pictures of your family. Thank you for sharing all of this. I loved it. have a blessed day.

Willow said...

Peonies! I'm going to have to plant some in my garden. I had some in Oregon. Thanks for the reminder!
I'm impressed with that chicken coop. Good job your son did.
The Easter dresses were always so important to us, weren't they?

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

We know who your son takes after for sure, don't we. His dad would be mighty proud of that fancy chicken coup. Yes, our mothers were evidently every talented and creative seamstresses and loved making pretty things for their two girls. We do have so much in common. A very big High Five (if I did that sort of thing) to your upcoming trip to Mackinac Island. I can't wait to hear all about it since it is one of my most favorite trips. So glad you're back to blogging again.