On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Thanksgiving Eve Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge Fun!


1. Tradition...how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations? For instance do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu, always eat at 2 PM, etc.? Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family? How did that feel?

Until I read this question, I thought there had been some semblance of tradition in my life, but giving it a little thought, there wasn't much. It has always been a variable, especially after the loss of my parents. As a child, we spent Thanksgiving with relatives in Arkansas, and sometimes at home. We didn't always have a turkey ... if just our family at home, Mom just roasted a hen. When I married, my mother-in-law was insistent that everyone be at her house for Thanksgiving and Christmas and she always did the huge turkey. Everybody watched the Cowboys on TV, and the menu was always the same. It was a struggle for my husband and me to make it to both places ... my family in another state and his family here in Texas, but we managed to do it! Whew, it was quite tiresome.


Then, after marrying a firefighter with a crazy schedule, and also now being part of a blended family, kids grown and married with families of their own and also their extended families, and my own family being scattered in different places, my thoughts of traditional Thanksgiving went out the window!! After thirty years, I have come to be content, thankful and grateful for whatever Thanksgiving and Christmas blessings come my way. Each year is different.

2. Help...is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer? How is that a good/bad thing?

It just depends on whatever needs to be done. I'm not shy to ask help if help is really needed or I don't know what I'm doing. But otherwise, I'm a do-it-yourselfer.

3. Abundance...what is there an abundance of in your kitchen?

Probably an over-abundance of tools, gadgets and appliances.

4. Name...the smallest thing you're thankful for?

I wasn't sure whether we are talking things, people or spiritual here. The smallest would be the peeps in my life who keep getting bigger every day.



the biggest?

Things: I have known the privilege of living 68 years in a country where I have freedoms that millions in the world will never know.
People: My family
Spiritually: God's unending love and grace for me.

5. Key...What do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?

Focusing on all you do have instead of what you don't have, the things that really matter. Focusing on others instead of self, being a friend, being more generous.

6. State your own random thought here.


I praise God that I woke up this morning after sleeping all night in a warm, dry bed in our spacious home. My husband was there next to me, the morning was quiet and dawn was beginning to show itself. As I arise, there is no fear of enemies in our quiet neighborhood, our family is well, our pantry is full in the kitchen, we have great friends, a wonderful church family, and the list just goes on and on because we have so much to be thankful for. 


I am loved, forgiven, redeemed, and have hope for the future because of God's love and grace. He is aware of all that's going on with the world, and all that concerns me and mine. He is working on our behalf.


10 comments:

Susie said...

Nonnie, I love the picture of you DH and the children. I am so looking forward to being with my family. The cartoon is cute...joining hands for prayer, when we do that we are standing in a really big wonky circle...but I love it. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo, Susie

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Beautiful random thought. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Cranberry Morning said...

I enjoyed all your Hodgepodge today, but especially your Random. Amen! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Chatty Crone said...

I have to honestly say I like each and every answer - I can see why we are friends - a lot of the answers I feel the same exact way. Happy Thanksgiving. sandie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love tradition but as the children grow things have a way of changing. I'm thankful to be making a dinner for just Mark and I tomorrow. Love your answer for #4. Amen for your random. Happy Thanksgiving!

Linda said...

We are blessed indeed! I loved reading and learning more about your life.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Beautiful thoughts for Thanksgiving Eve. Thank you for sharing them with us. May your day be filled with joy and blessing and much thankfulness. I know it will be. We have to adjust our Thanksgiving schedule every year as well...but that keeps it interesting. This year we will be a small family of 4 tomorrow here, and not eating turkey. Saturday we will grow to a mixed group of family and friends of at least 20 people..here...but everyone brings food. Very thankful! God is so good to us. I am thankful for YOU>

Joyce said...

You have a wonderful outlook on the holidays. And we do have so much to be grateful for every day. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Aloha Acres said...

Happy Thanksgiving

Terri D said...

I'm late getting around so feel so blessed to have read your Hodgepodge post! I love your 'random' thoughts. Spot on!