See You Later, Alligator
Saturday 9: See You Later, Alligator (1956)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
I remember this song from when I was a kid. We still say it all the time.
1) Crazy Sam's mother is terrified of alligators. Just looking at a photo of one of those scaly reptiles gives her the creeps. Is there a member of the animal kingdom that scares you?
Snakes, snakes, snakes!
2) Gators are carnivores, but they aren't picky. If meat isn't handy, they'll munch on fruit. Are you particular about your diet? For example, do you try to eat gluten free, low sodium, etc.?
I try to be good. Vegetables, fruit, low fat, high fiber as much as possible. I love dark chocolate. Recently I found a fabulous recipe for gluten free chocolate chip cookies made with almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, chocolate chips and baking soda. I may be eating too many of those, however.
3) In Spain, this song was a hit under the title, "Hasta Luego, Cocodrilo." Say something else in Spanish.
Algo mas. No me gustan las serpientes.
4) When this week's artist, Bill Haley, was a little boy, he made a guitar out of cardboard and pretended to play that until his parents got him a real one. Tell us about something you wanted so badly when you were a kid.
Oh no, not again. I've probably told at least three times in past blogs how much I wanted a pair of Chicago rink skates. I finally received a pair when I was 17.
5) Early in his career, Bill did whatever it took to get the gig. When singing cowboys were popular, the Michigan native pretended to be a cowpoke and renamed himself, "Silver Yodeling Bill." Have you ever fudged on your resume or fibbed in an interview?
Not that I'm aware of.
6) When his career was going well, Bill was generous and loved to give extravagant parties at his home, which he called Melody Manor. Do you enjoy playing the host?
Sometimes. It depends on who is coming over and how much time I have to prepare and what I need to prepare.
7) Bill was blind in one eye, the result of a botched operation when he was a child. Since the blind eye wandered and didn't focus, he always wore a curl over the opposite eye, hoping to draw everyone's attention to the other side of his face. What is there about your appearance that leaves you self conscious?
My hair when the weather is humid. And I don't know why we continue choosing vacation spots where the humidity is high!
8) On the other hand, what is it about your appearance that pleases you, and that you would never change?
My hair when the air is dry. I love visiting Colorado. My hair does great no matter what!
9) In 1956, when this song was a hit, Elvis Presley exploded onto the music scene and displaced Bill as rock's top artist. The press and public assumed Bill was jealous of Elvis, but in reality he liked Elvis a great deal. Are you jealous by nature?
Hmmmmm. I think I have been a few times in the past when a younger woman was over friendly with my husband. I did not Ike that one bit!