On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Another quiet day in the neighborhood. Extremely quiet. Snow seems to have a way of doing that around here. But again, I found plenty to do and yet found myself wishing for more to do! :-/ Too bad I'm not crafty or something! I had expected we would be keeping the kids last night and anticipated a very busy day today with them. But the weather having changed the plan, I changed mine.

I decided to make a surprise for DH's breakfast. (He has wanted some different treat every day this week. I think he may be getting spoiled.) So, knowing I had plenty of fresh blueberries on hand, I made the To Die For Blueberry Muffins.


photo credit



These muffins are delicious, but the name is offensive to me. How did this expression come to be about food? Would anybody really die for a muffin?


Anyway, if you read the reviews of recipes online, the reviewers who give the recipe good ratings NEVER seem to follow the recipe. That is a help sometimes, but other times it is VERY annoying. Don't you agree?

(That being said, I will say in the case of the above blueberry muffins, I made two changes: a coffee cake rather than muffins, and instead of white sugar for the streusel, I used brown sugar. That's not too drastic a change, is it?)

Since I had extra chicken from making chicken pot pie, it seemed like a good idea to prepare another one today for my friend who moved during the bad weather. She will be busy for some time with all she has to do.

For DH and me, tonight's menu was beef stew and cornbread. I think I could have finished off the whole pot of it - but managed to restrain myself since I'm trying to keep off the weight I lost when I was sick.

The phone rang while we were having dinner and caller ID came up on the TV screen. Surprise, surprise when I saw the name. A phone call from a high school classmate. You know you are getting older when an unexpected call comes from someone who never calls (I am usually the caller). First thought is they are calling to say a mutual friend has passed away. But nope! she wanted to be the caller for a change and just catch up on how we are doing. It was nice being the callee this time.

Saturday nights are church night here, but with more freezing rain and uncertainty of the streets tonight, will go tomorrow morning. I really don't like to miss and tomorrow morning is waffles/workshop for those who work with children's church. I can't figure out if the waffles are a reward for those who volunteer - or bribery to keep us on!! (NO! I am not going for the waffles!)

I have been following an online Bible study at shereadstruth.org. Observing Lent was never part of my growing up years and, as an adult, I associated it with what I knew (very little) about Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, and King cake. In this study, I discovered a beautiful hymn. I love the words and want to preserve them in my blog.


Not What My Hands Have Done

Not what my hands have done can save my guilty soul;
Not what my toiling flesh has borne can make my spirit whole.
Not what I feel or do can give me peace with God;
Not all my prayers and sighs and tears can bear my awful load.

Your voice alone, O Lord, can speak to me of grace;
Your power alone, O Son of God, can all my sin erase.
No other work but Yours, no other blood will do;
No strength but that which is divine can bear me safely through.

Thy work alone, O Christ, can ease this weight of sin;
Thy blood alone, O Lamb of God, can give me peace within.
Thy love to me, O God, not mine, O Lord, to Thee,
Can rid me of this dark unrest, And set my spirit free.

I bless the Christ of God; I rest on love divine;
And with unfaltering lip and heart I call this Savior mine.
His cross dispels each doubt; I bury in His tomb
Each thought of unbelief and fear, each lingering shade of gloom.

I praise the God of grace; I trust His truth and might;
He calls me His, I call Him mine, My God, my joy and light.
’Tis He Who saveth me, and freely pardon gives;
I love because He loveth me, I live because He lives.
~Horatius Bonar


7 comments:

Wanda said...

What a wonderful quiet in the neighborhood day. I love coffee cakes and the blueberry sound so good. I often exchange white sugar for brown.

That hymn is so very precious. What a message. Wonderful words.

NanaDiana said...

That coffee cake looks to "die for"...lol....Sounds really good to me. I exchange white and brown sugar all the time The only difference is the brown sugar still has the cane molasses in it...so it is richer tasting.

Enjoy (or don't) your waffles tomorrow. I really like a Saturday night service to and our church just started one so I am anxious to try it.

Stay safe with your weather there....and that is a beautiful old hymn. I have not heard that in YEARS! xo Diana

yaya said...

Lovely words for this time of year. I don't do lent like I used when I was Catholic, but I still love to try and do something nice for someone each day or sacrifice something to remember the sacrifice of my Savior. Your day sounds lovely and I understand about trying to keep off weight loss. I lost after my surgery and now that my appetite is back I'm trying to keep it off and even lose more...tough job! Hope your weather isn't too crazy. We're expecting about 8-10in. of snow tomorrow...should be an interesting church day for us!

Terri D said...

The hymn is beautiful, and is one I've never heard before. I am Catholic, so we are observing Lent. Quiet days are good now and then, but too many will make me a little stir-crazy! How nice that you could be the callee for a change! Beef stew and cornbread sounds SO good!!

Laurie Collett said...

Wonderful words in this hymn -- thanks for sharing! I'm going to see if I can find the music and perhaps sing it as a special in church. Thanks for this lovely post and for your sweet comment on Saved by Grace!
God bless,
Laurie

Jill said...

Such lovely words to reflect upon! Volunteering can certainly fill our hearts :-) Blueberry muffins sounds yummy... as you know our house likes to bake ;-) Have a great evening!

Blessings,
Jill

Start Business in Delhi said...

I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.