On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Followers

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How I Spent the REST of my summer vacation!

or What happens when your plans get waylaid!!!

Sandwiched in between our fantastic trip to Ohio and the Southeastern U.S. in April, and our trip to the beach in June, I had a lower back molar decide to give me heck! And I'm not kidding!  All the poking and probing and pulling by the dentist, the endodontist, and oral surgeon, caused my jaw to continue screaming out in pain for about a month. Because of it, I missed out on a week of my birthday celebrations and more importantly, our sweet Kate's graduation from transitional kindergarten. Now, making up for lost birthday luncheons are one thing, but missing Kate's event made me very sad!

As a pirate for her
class presentation!




Soooooooooooooooo, after making somewhat of a recovery from "the tooth" episode, life resumed with what appeared to be a very pleasant summer ahead to be enjoyed. Nice temperatures for Texas, occasional unexpected rain showers, planting flowers, enjoying the kids, the 4th of July, and looking forward to the annual boat bash in July for our grandson Noah's birthday party.

Early in the week of the highly anticipated boat party at Lake Travis, Dear Heart surprised me by saying he was too tired for it and would I mind if we didn't go. Well, for him to admit to being too tired for a fun time at the lake was just a little out of the norm for him, so I readily agreed that we should stay home. I then decided maybe this might be a good time to get the tooth implant on the road. So I scheduled it for that Friday.

On Thursday, the day before the implant, I was playing with our grandson, Jack, having the best time with him as we took turns throwing ourselves down on his beanbag chair, wrestling, and me swinging him around.

The day following the implant, as my husband and I sat visiting after breakfast, the most excruciating pain came into my abdomen and all around my back and I was unable to breathe. After heaving up everything I had consumed for the past two days, I thought that would be the end of that, but it was not to be. Two trips to the emergency room, and before you could say Jack Robinson, I found myself checked in and hooked up to all kinds of IVs, leg pumps, oxygen regulator, and, worst of all, NO FOOD! Well, maybe that wasn't the worst!

Five days of pain and undergoing CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, and sonograms, gall bladder and pancreas problems were ruled out and it was FINALLY determined that I had a duodenal ulcer and surgery was scheduled for the next day. Two weeks in the hospital, and after being home now for three full weeks (sporting a 6 inch incision), I am just now beginning to feel stronger and yes, in another month I will hopefully be back to my old self.

Very thankful 

So many blessings I can't count them.
Thankful the tooth didn't choose to erupt while on either of our vacations away from home!
Thankful for the fact that I wasn't out on a big party boat in the middle of Lake Travis when the ulcer decided to blow!
Thank You, Lord for seeing me through all of this! Every. Single. Day.


I'm thankful for my husband.
My family. Friends. Prayers. My church.
Every person who came to visit.

I had visitors every day. 




Phone calls from loved ones




A few of the beautiful flowers I received.





Lots of Cards
One of my personal favorites

Our daughter, Sara, came to stay with us for the first five days to so graciously wait on me, shop, help around the house, do laundry, etc. Later, she came back for another visit and brought Noah a/k/a Captain America with her!


My sister-in-love, Susan, came three different times and also shopped for groceries and cooked for Dear Heart.

A sample of her good cooking!
Was I able to eat any of that food? NO!
My brother, my sister, our church family, every person blessed me with their loving concern.


Me with my sister and niece

My brother and Susan

Lively entertainment when I finally came home

Kate and Jack loved having Aunt Sara
come play with them.

I am happy and very grateful to say that today I am feeling more "normal" than I have since that awful Saturday five weeks ago!

The rest of the story.

Never before have I experienced any stomach problems. Eating has always been a pleasure for me and pretty much I eat just about whatever I want. So in trying to determine the cause of this, all the doctors who saw me pinned it down and put the blame on: Ibuprofen! Ibuprofen is not something I take on a regular basis. However, throughout the abscessed tooth episode described above, I was told to take it every four hours for the pain. My husband warned me not to! The pain and the dentists won out. And yes, I read the warning labels on the bottle.

This medicine may cause the following problems:
Bleeding and ulcers in the stomach or intestines!
Higher risk of heart attack or stroke.
Liver damage.
Kidney damage.
Vision problems.

It isn't my desire to be preachy or scary here. I just hope my telling this helps someone and gives you cause to stop and re-consider how badly you need a medication before taking it.


3 comments:

Terri D said...

Wow. Praise God you are healing and feeling so much better. Wow.

yaya said...

I'm so glad you're home and doing well...I was just talking to my Mom today and she thinks she has an ulcer. She's had them her whole life and I told her to stop wondering about it and get to the doctor...she's 88..this is not something to mess with. Yes, nsaids can cause trouble...I take a few myself for knee pain...maybe that total joint should come sooner than later! Take it easy and enjoy the rest of this summer! I'll keep you in my prayers!

nancygrayce said...

Oh, I am so glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! I have another friend who had the same thing happen several years ago with ibuprofen. I never take it because I have a very sensitive stomach and knowing what it was capable of doing, I avoid it like the plague! Thankful you had so much help and support.